|December 4, 2017|
|Speaker: David Carmichael, State Archivist of Pennsylvania
Topic: "FINALLY...SOME NEW AND EXCITING ARCHITECTURE IS COMING TO HARRISBURG!"
The PA Historical and Museum Commission plans to erect a sparkling new expression of contemporary architecture for a city which is eager to have some! Choosing the emerging North Sixth Street corridor for its location, in proximity to the planned new Federal Court House, this initiative will have a huge impact on the redeveloping Midtown area. Construction of the new facility will begin in early 2018. The three to four story building should take about two years to complete. Our fellow Rotarian, Heather Hu, brought this to your program Czar thinking it would be a great program for us as our city energizes. It should be an interesting presentation which will impact our thinking and enthusiasm for our area!
Speaker: Sarah Deprez, Youth Exchange Student
Greeter: John Sutliff
Invocation: Carolyn Dumaresq
Club Singing: Karen Good
Mini-Classification Talk: Allisha Proper
50/50 Raffle Drawing
Rotary Roundup: Mark Stone
Program: David Carmicheal is the State Archivist of Pennsylvania. Before coming to Pennsylvania in 2014 he directed the Georgia Archives from 2000 to 2012, during which time he oversaw the design and construction of the award-winning Georgia Archives building and helped lead national efforts in emergency management, particularly for the protection of essential government records. Before becoming State Archivist of Georgia, he was director of records and archives for Westchester County, New York, for more than sixteen years. He received his Master’s Degree in History and Archives from Western Michigan University. He is a Fellow of the Society of American Archivists. He and his wife Yvonne live in Camp Hill.
NEWS and NOTES:
• Condolences to the Fromer family on the passing of our friend and Rotarian for 50 years, Chuck Fromer.
• SAVE the DATE:
1. Membership Alternative Meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 5th from 4:30-6:30 PM at the Capital Blue Store off of I-81 and Wertzville Road. Bring a bottle of wine and join in the fellowship. RSVP to Linda if you can attend. You will receive attendance credit.
• OCT-DEC dues invoices were sent. Please make every effort to pay upon receipt.
3. The YWCA Greater Harrisburg is seeking volunteers to assist with our Winter Overnight Shelter by providing hospitality to women seeking a warm bed during the winter months. Volunteers will conduct short intake interviews of our guests and provide hospitality during the hours of 7:45 PM until 11 PM.
Note: You must complete the one hour training prior to signing up for hostessing The Winter Overnight Shelter is a lifesaving service offered to women who reside on the streets from December 1 - March 31.
Sign up for Winter Overnight Shelter volunteer training & opportunities at: http://signup.com/go/TVEGKm or call Julia at 717-525-6381.
1. Harrisburg Rotary Foundation $100. Please pay by December 30.
2. Pancake Breakfast contributions: Tax-deductible checks should be made to the Harrisburg Rotary Foundation -- memo: Pancake Breakfast.
3. PA Wounded Warriors: Won’t you help by donating a suggested $20 or more? Tax-deductible checks should be made to the Harrisburg Rotary Foundation -- memo: PAWW. Both checks and cash should be given to Linda by December 31.
• The Hanson Award Committee welcomes nominations in writing for the next Robert Hanson Rotary Excellence Awardee. Please see Linda for the form and submit to the Rotary office by December 1.
• The Nominating Committee (which consists of the past five Rotary Presidents, plus current President and President-elect) is accepting nominations for the following positions: VP, Treasurer, Sergeant-at-Arms and Board. Please submit your nominations to Linda at the Rotary office by December 12.
ROTARY CLUB OF HARRISBURG BYLAWS ARTICLE II Election of Directors and Officers
Sec. 1. Qualifications. To be eligible for election to serve as Vice President, President-elect, and, thereafter, as President, a nominee must be a Member of the club for at least five (5) years, must have served as a Director for at least one (1) year, must have maintained an average of attendance of at least fifty (50%) percent in the preceding two (2) years prior to the election, and must have served as a committee chair, co-chair, or active committee member, for at least three (3) years. To be eligible to serve as a Director, Treasurer, Secretary, and Sergeant-at-Arms, a nominee must have been a Member of the Club for at least two years. All of the stated time requirements shall be measured as of the date the nominated and elected member will take office. The Robert D. Hanson Rotary Excellence Awardee shall be deemed qualified to serve as a Director.
• Have you listed your Rotary Service in your LinkedIn profile?
• Follow Rotary Club of Harrisburg Facebook page (and Like us) and www.hbgrotary.org for speaker/meeting updates.
• DID YOU KNOW? Contributions to The Harrisburg Rotary Foundation for memorials, birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays are always appreciated. The recipient receives an appropriate acknowledgment from the Rotary Club of Harrisburg and the contribution is also acknowledged in The Rotary Roundup. Donations are tax-deductible.
1. The weekly Governors Newsletter can viewed. Go to rotary7390.org. Across the top are all the tabs, run your cursor over “District Newsletter” and a drop down box will put out and click on the newsletter.
Last meeting was the InterclubThanksgiving Luncheon hosted by the Cosmopolitan Club:
$556 was collected for Camp Setebeid.
2017-2018 Club Officers